CERB ended – Now What?

In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, the federal government acted swiftly and provided many forms of government financial relief for the individuals and businesses.  One of the most popular forms of relief that the government provided was the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).

The CERB was provided to certain employed and self-employed individuals who were unable to work because of the pandemic. If you qualified, you received $2,000 for each four-week segment of the eligibility period. There were seven eligibility periods, for a total of 28 weeks, starting on March 15 and ending on September 26, 2020.

Those who have not yet hit the 28-week maximum will continue receiving their CERB payment until they max out or reach October 3rd. New applicants who now realize they were eligible at any point between March 15th and October 3rd can apply retroactively up until December 2nd.

Those who have maxed out their CERB eligibility are being transitioned onto Employment Insurance and new recovery benefits that will support Canadians.

Transitioning to EI

For Canadians who applied for and received the CERB through Service Canada, the transition to Employment Insurance will happen automatically.

The exception here is anyone receiving the benefit through Service Canada who is also self-employed or who has a 900-series social insurance number will need to apply again.

Applications can be made through the My Service Canada account.

As well, anyone who applied for and received the CERB through the Canada Revenue Agency will need to apply for Employment Insurance again through Service Canada and a My Service Canada account.

  • The minimum you will receive on EI is at least $500 per week before taxes and up to a maximum of $573 per week before taxes.
  • You will only need 120 insured hours for the past 12 months to qualify for benefits because you’ll receive a onetime credit of 300 hours if your applying or regular benefits and 480 insured hours if your applying for sickness, maternity, parental or caregiving benefits.

Transitioning to CRB

If you qualify, The Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB). Like the new EI Plan, will provide $500 weekly for 26 weeks but will target people whose income has dropped by at least half. These include self-employed people.

  • There are 26 total periods available to apply for from October 11, 2020 to September 28, 2021. However, you can only apply for up to a max of 13 of the 26 periods. The periods you apply for don’t have to be in consecutive order
  • You can apply for any period you are eligible for and are able to apply up to 60 days after the period had ended.
  • You may work (employee or self-employed) while on CRB but if you make more than $38,000 in     the calendar year, you will have to reimburse $.50 for every dollar of net income you earn above $38,000. Meaning if you made $39,000 you would have to pay the government back $500 for the additional $1,000 you earned from working.

Transitioning to CRCB

If you qualify, the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) pays you $500 per week for up to 26 weeks, if you are unable to work for at least 60% of a working week because you have to attend to:

  • A child under age 12 because of the closure of a school or daycare
  • A family member with a disability or a dependent because their day program or care facility was closed
  • A child, a family member with a disability, or a dependent who was not attending school, daycare, or another care facility under the advice of a medical professional.It applies as of September 27, 2020 and is in effect for one year.

Transitioning to CRSB

If you qualify, the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit CRSB pays you $500 per week for up to two weeks if you are sick or must self-isolate for reasons related to COVID-19. As noted, this amount is taxable. It applies as of September 27, 2020 and is in effect for one year.

  • You can only apply for up to two periods, each period is 1 week.
    That means if you are sent to quarantine for the 3rd time you are out of luck.

All 3 recovery benefits will be run through the Canada Revenue Agency, and Canadians will have to directly apply through their CRA My Account online. You can apply at any point between now and September 25, 2021.